Tis only me

Tis only me

Sunday 7 February 2016

My week as @Ireland's Curator

Well, I started 2016 with very little, money, work, food, confidence. One of those moments in time, where I could go down this road or go down that one. I decided to grab life by the neck, take chances and most important, stop deciding for people that they don't want me. It was a huge step, I would put myself out (perceived warts and all) and let people decide, if they want, like or would give me a chance to shine.

A few snags
  1. I have a huge self-hater, that creeps up and whispers lies in my ear. because my Self-hater can be clever in its actions, I always feel it is a tangible part of me and true.
  2. I’ve never been to collage or have a degree, I think being in collage, gives you a “push in” with a huge network of people; fellow students, tutors and academics in general.
  3. I’m such a colourful character, with so many different aspects and talents.  Education, comedy, acting, storytelling, writing, making art and working in community, that I can be like a butterfly flirting from one project to another. building lots of small houses, rather than a huge big tower, which be clearly seen as an achievement.

But I’m going onwards, upwards and going to try and put those snags in my back pocket for a while. I sent off a lot of emails to television programmes about my video on ‘Making a Brigid’s cross and heard back from one, which I’m delighted by and will have to see how that will unfold along the way.


I also saw the need to embrace positivity with both arms. I researched about affirmations and recorded some on my iPad, put a little music behind them and use that as my alarm in the morning.  When i wake, I take some time to give thanks for everything, keeping it general and refusing to let negativity into my mind.

I started to notice myself, when I would have a negative thought about myself, I noticed my posture would change, my shoulders would cave in and my demeanour would shrink down, so, every so often, during the day, I now straighten my self out and keep my shoulders back, which puts me in a new positive friendly shape.  Which has all been helping me to keep a good outlook on life.

Then, one evening, while giving out about one of the curators of twitter’s @Ireland account, I decided to apply to become one, rather than being a “hurler on the ditch”. There was a touch of “it’s a little clique of Dublin lovey’s and their collage friends (you see, where that is coming from, now) and they won’t want me.  But, Darragh Doyle  answered and with a little toing and froing, I was given a week to curate the account. 

The 1st until the 7th February!
Then, it took flight, what would I say, how should I act, what PR motivated driven aspects of myself should I portray to get maximum exposure, Should i get puppets shows ready to take over the country and the world, all sorts of plans and plots went through my head.
until, before I knew it, it was time, the curtain opened and I was there.  

I had spent, so much time, plotting, planning and getting ready, that I was now there, without the huge manifesto of success! I had no choice, only to be myself. My belief in Nature and the old celtic ways came up.  My love of stories and their importance and relevance too. My experience of depression and ways to combat it also. But, it was my everyday personality, that shone through for me, my empathy, my understanding of people and the ability to communicate that understanding, in a very natural manner,  underpinned everything.

Overall, I was met with a wave of Positive feedback, that really awoken something in me, another awareness of that negativity in me and how it can harm others, a little remark here, a little one there. Without saying, it wasn't all strawberry’s and cream all the time, but that was also needed. Sometimes, I reacted with too much sensitivity, but most of time, I was calm enough to just say “what was in my heart and why”  I even survived being challenged by 3 political "Honey Badgers" at the time!

So now, I’m back to be being Sean, not Ireland/Sean, still the same person and back to the drawing board of having to figure out, what I’d like to be, when I grow up. I have to decide which avenue of my talent i should pursue for the best advantage of myself and others.   Or let that decision be made for me?  While I’m doing that, I’ll keep working on embracing my positivity and “I’ll go on”………
If anyone has ideas or offers on how to move forward, I’d be delighted to hear them.
I've started working on a video about positivity and affirmations, as you read this and will be uploaded very soon.

I've also started an online shop, where I will make art, write books and more, sell them, it would be great to just live in rural countryside and have a global outlet? It just has Brigit's crosses at present, but making candle holders and more, keep watching!
http://artoolaoghaire.tictail.com

Thank you to everybody for a truly wonderful experience and such great interactions over the week and a huge thank you to Darragh Doyle for all his patience and hard work…
I now know, there is no clique! 


I’ll leave you with something very different. Ballybedamned- Episode 1

I've always had a strong and effective wit, The puppets were made for satire, I'm going to do this for a few more weeks and see how it is received.  But being funny can be a way of covering up the real me? Will have to work on that out more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment